08 July 2010

Shutter Speed and Waterfalls: An Example

Shooting waterfalls is fun. It's pretty easy to get some cool effects, and nearly impossible to get a bad shot. Here are some simple tricks I played with shutter speed to get the shot I wanted. I have a Canon which technically is a high end point and shoot, and not an SLR. I'll get the model number soon.


Photo #1
Shutter Speed: 1/100
Aperture: 3.5
Mode: Landscape

This is essentially the waterfall as it is shot in Landscape mode. A good shot for realism, although not the best shot I got. I like the framing, the trees give context and hints to the size of the falls, although the "leaf glow" is a bit bright.


Photo #2
Shutter Speed: 1/60
Aperture: 8.0
Mode: Manual

Obviously this shot is way too dark at least in terms of the waterfall, although it captures the "leaf glow" on the trees quiet well. Notice there is no "mist effect" at this speed yet. Although the shutter speed is longer than photo #1, it is darker because it is taken in manual mode.


Photo #3
Shutter Speed: 1/15
Aperture: 8.0
Mode: Manual

This shot getting closer to the "great shot" but it shows how far you can be despite being so close....in my opinion, the slight "mist effect" that the waterfall is showing with lower shutter speed actually makes it uglier than before. It looks more like a lack of focus than a cool effect to me.



Photo #4
Shutter Speed: 1/4
Aperture: 8.0
Mode: Manual

This is the best shot in my mind, and I say that with full knowledge that the lighting isn't right and the plants are way too bright. Still, the "mist effect" draws your eyes away from that, and that's what makes it great. I love it in color, but here it is in black and white (taken in black and white, not altered afterward) where it just loses something to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment