08 July 2010

Gallery: Return from Silverton



Poppy Fields
This is a framing issue for me. I like the way a photo of flowers or dense vegetation looks when framed so that nothing else appears....it looks more colorful. Unfortunately for my purposes, Google Earth would not accept this as there is no landmarks in the photo. Still I like it. B


Mt. Jefferson from Detroit Lake
If I'm honest the picture seems like a waste. Mt. Jefferson is quite impressive here, but would be more so if the lighting was better. The snow doesn't seem that differently colored than the sky, and the three layers of trees having fading colors looks ugly to me. D+


Mt. Washington and Blue Skies
Anyone care to guess I shot this with a blue filter? I like the effect, although there's too much of it, and it makes it looks a bit "70's" to me. But the framing is good, I like the sense of size of the sky. B

Mt. Washington Black and White
Same photo as above yet the framing seems off on this one....too much sky. Still the contrasts between the trees are more apparent, and Cascades always shoot well in black and white. B-

Sparks Lake Sign and South Sister
For the record.....I generally hate sepia tone as needless gimmicky or downright pretentious, but I liked the way the sign looked in this one. Lighting is a bit off, it needs to be lighter. B


Mt. Bachelor Meadows
This is what happens when a great photo gets made into merely a good one. I took 74 photos with different angles and lighting, and while I like the framing, I just couldn't get the brightness of the yellow flowers right. I also worried about the snow getting a nuclear glow. If anything though I learned the camera viewfinder makes the scene look brighter than it actually is. I assure you this is a great photo that turned out to be a good one. B


South Sister Panorama From Elk Lake....

Below are the photos used to make the panorama on the title bar. I was thrilled with how it turned out...I didn't use the panorama feature on my camera because I think this is more fun and I'm a bit skeptical about that. The stitching of the photos has a slight, but barely noticeable flaw near the left of the summit, and that software error is the only thing keeping this from being a straight up A. Thus A-

(The pics are in reverse order from the way they were taken.












No comments:

Post a Comment